Thursday, May 28, 2015

Pregnancy Update And A Mommy's Worries


Yesterday was my 30 week check-up. Yep, you read that right!

30 weeks...were has the time flown?

It feels just like yesterday that I started feeling slightly sick and thought I had the stomach flu. Which turned into an extended stomach flu, you know, the 9 month kind. Ha. I make myself laugh sometimes.

I was so excited and couldn't wait to tell Hubby, which I did right away the very evening of getting that positive result. The joy on his face and the shout he let out made us all laugh. Baby J. included, even though he had no idea what was going on. 

Now, I've turned the corner into the third trimester and am heading to the finish line. I couldn't be more excited if I tried. Well, I could. And I will. The moment the Dr. places that sweet little newborn baby in my arms. 

So, anyways back to yesterday. Our check-up went really well. Baby #2 is growing nicely. A little bit faster than expected but it's no surprise to me. Baby J. measured 2 weeks ahead of time at each check-up once we hit 7 months. So, I wasn't surprised to see that Baby #2 (also known as VP and Little One) measured 1 week ahead of schedule. 

Little One weighs a little over 1.5 kgs, which means he may very well turn out to be over 4 kgs at birth. Not a problem, Baby J. was over 4 kgs as well. And he's absolutely adorable so I know Little One will be as well.

Sometimes I find myself thinking about my little Baby J. and my soon to be newborn baby. It's during these times that my mind gets to comparing the two little guys. I'll feel my sweet Little One practicing his kickboxing in there and I'll compare it to the time I was pregnant with Baby J. Both of my pregnancies followed pretty much the same pattern- morning sickness- ehh not so bad, the second trimester took forever to pass, and the third trimester was filled with loads of kicks and punches from the resident Baby. As well as a lot of stress and worry that I wouldn't have everything prepared in time for the Baby's arrival.

Oh yes. Even though I've already had one Baby and kind of know how things are supposed to play out (they sometimes have a way of not following the plan) I still get stressed. And worried. Very worried. I worry that I might not have enough clothes ready, that the shampoo and lotion I plan to use for the Baby will irritate his skin, that Baby J. might not like the newest member of our family,etc.  Mostly though, I worry that I will have trouble spending time with Baby J. and that he will feel like he comes in second to the new Baby. 

I don't want my precious sweetheart to ever feel or think that.
So, I worry, fret, and stress about the best course of action to prevent that. 

I think a lot of moms feel the same way I do. It's only natural. For a long period of time or maybe a short period of time there was only one child in the house. And that child received all the love and attention you had. Now, there is the impending arrival of the second child on the horizon and it's only natural to worry and fret a little. Will you be able to spend the quality time that each child needs with them? Will you be able to love both equally? Will you be able to divide your attention in equal parts? 

Questions that no doubt each second time mother has asked herself. 

Or at least I have. 
And after a lot of worrying and stressing about this, I've come to the conclusion that Yes, I will be able to love both equally. Yes, I will divide my attention in equal parts, I'll work my hardest to make sure each of my children feels that they are just as loved and cared for as their other sibling. 
After, realizing that, well let me tell you I finally was able to have a good nights sleep. And for once I was able to finally feel stress free and completely at peace in regards to this topic.


Did any of your pregnancies have you question yourself the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment